In this post, we will look at the top considerations that are crucial to being a successful architect on the Salesforce platform. Even more, We will share approaches on what to focus on if you are a developer on the journey to becoming an architect. Being a good Architect means lifelong learning, practicing and goal setting.
We did the session with Emely Patra on Navigating your career from Developer to Architect. Please check recording here. In this post I am going to include some key point form same session and some others community sessions.
Difference between Salesforce Architect and Developer
Its very important to understand what Salesforce Developer do and what is Salesforce Architect?
- Develop the product and focuses on solving a specific problem
- One who write the code like Apex, VF, Aura and LWC
- Designed the code structure like trigger framework.
- Consider for governor limits when designing solutions.
- Responsible for CI/CD
- Plans, designs and reviews the construction of enterprise software, primarily cloud focused, and Salesforce related.
- Hold the vision and foreses the system before it is build
- Think about bigger picture, Think Strategically and Communicate Effectively.
- Responsible for data modeling, System landscape, Integration Architecture, Security design, Large Data Volume, System performance and etc.
Based on name alone, it’s all about the technology, right? Not exactly, the role and success depends on so much more. Check our Meta Architect session. with Carl Brundage.
- Create architecture implementation and design plans
- Identify strengths, weaknesses and tradeoffs in design decisions
- Communicate design overviews to executive/business and technical audiences
- Guarantee application design supports the business requirements
- Collaborate with others on approaches needed to support strategy
- Ensure timely delivery of fully functional software for users
The knowledge you gain on each domain has to be applied in a business context , to solve for a business problem and achieve some business value. This is what a CTA mindset is about, bringing it all together and applying the right lenses to see the models. Here are simple ways to think like an Architect.
- Think N numbers of steps in advance, think about how the situation could evolve, how levers could change
- Know the limitations and other workarounds
- Do the Risks assessment and mitigations honestly
- A good architect not only knows the solution well but can explain it to different audiences as well.
- You know knowledge is no good if your stakeholders do not understand how it helps them
- Be it developers or business leaders, communicating in context and in a language your audience understands is key to being a top class architect
See the big picture
- The Architect always has an eye on the BIG PICTURE. He forced on Plans, designs and reviews the construction of enterprise software, primarily cloud focused, and Salesforce related
- Keeping at an eye on the end results and keeping the program on it’s right course to achieve the right Business Results is key to success.
Check out full session here
Some Myths for Salesforce Architect
Lets talk about some myths we always have for Salesforce Architect.
- To become a Salesforce Architect I first work as Salesforce Developer.
- Salesforce Architect must be able to write Apex and LWC.
- Salesforce Architect Know everything.
- Certification are the golden Standard.
What Next ?
1) Create your own goal.
Self assessment is very important. You should know What do you enjoy doing? What’s your natural Strength and What do you want to continue doing and what do you want to drop in your future role? Being a good Architect means lifelong learning, practicing and goal setting.
2) Presentation Skills
Take every opportunity for practice and overcome your fears. Speak at user group and run workshop with a customer and learn 5 Skills Great Salesforce Consultants Have In Common.
3) Find a mentor
A mentor is really useful specially when preparing for the CTA board review. Someone who can give you honest feedback and help you structure your thoughts is a key success ingredient in your success.
4) Practice makes you perfect
Now that you know the 3 simple ingredients that make a good architect and you feel ready for your review boards how do you get there? Let me tell you something, it is not easy. Bringing together your breadth of domain knowledge into context specific architecture take practice. So all I can say is Practice, Practice Practice.
5) Feedback is a gift
Finally “feedback is a gift” accept it graciously . It’s a quality that can only help you be better every-time. Experience is the wonderful knowledge that enables you to recognize a mistake when you do it again.
6) Habit of thinking strategically
One of the awesome things about going through the whole grill of becoming a CTA is you naturally get into the habit of thinking strategically, thinking of the big picture, organizing your thought into business context etc.
7) What’s beyond CTA
The learning does not stop there, growth mindset is extremely important before and even after the review boards.
- Sharing Architecture in Salesforce.
- Salesforce integration Patterns & Best Practices
- Building Scalable Solutions on Salesforce
- How Salesforce Query Optimizer works for LDV
- Pre-Sales Life Cycle in Salesforce
Please share some tips if you have for our audience.