Join us to learn about how to become a Salesforce Developer. In this post, we will talk about what you need to do to become a Salesforce Developer and the reasons to become an SFDC Developer.
What is Salesforce Developer?
Roles and Responsibilities of a Salesforce Developer
The Roles and Responsibilities of a Developer are to understand the platform’s out-of-the-box functionality and then customize the application based on client requirements using coding or configurations. These developers use tools such as Apex, Visualforce, Aura, and Lightning Component in order to develop apps.
Salesforce Developers Salary
Skills Required to become a Salesforce Developer
To become a developer you should have programming skills, analytical skills, and excellent problem-solving and communication skills.
How to become a Salesforce developer?
What do I need to be a Salesforce Developer? We are glad that we did one FREE Developer training course in ApexHours. The good news is that we recorded all sessions and posted them on YouTube. After completing this free course you will master Apex, Understand the Trigger, Batch job, SOQL, basics of Aura, and LWC. Let’s start your journey, with the world’s No. 1 CRM software!
- Become a Salesforce Admin
- Learn Coding
- Learn Software development life cycle
- Learn Salesforce Consultants Skills.
- Get Certified and clear your PD-1 exam.
- Get hands on experience
- Find an Adviser
- Get ready for the Salesforce Developer Interview
- Find Salesforce Developer Job
#1. Become a Salesforce Admin
If you want to become a Salesforce Developer then the first step is to become a good Salesforce Admin. You can become a successful Developer once you understand the platform very well and complete the business requirement with Out of box features.
Learn Salesforce with Trailhead and if you like videos then check ApexHours FREE Salesforce Training.
After becoming a good Salesforce Admin. Decide the Salesforce career path base on your self-assessment. If you love coding then move to the developer path else you can decide on the Consultant or Business Analyst.
As a Salesforce #AwesomeAdmin you may be a bit hesitant about the coding side of the Platform. Chances are, you already know a ton about writing code and haven’t even realized it! Check this session to learn more about Apex Basics in Admin terms and find out how utilizing functionality such as Objects, Fields, Formulas, Flows, Workflow Rules, and Processes is just a small step away from writing Apex!
#2. Set the Roadmap to become Developer
- Learn about OOP concept in programing language
- Learn Apex Fundamental
- Apex Trigger
- Learn Java Script to become a good lightning developer
- Now it is time to learn about Salesforce UI components like Aura and LWC.
2.1 Roadmap to become Developer
There are lots of things you need to learn to become a Developer. It is better to design your roadmap:-
- Backend Developer: I will highly recommend starting with backend development with Apex. Where you learn the basics of Apex, Triggers, Batch Apex, and Test classes.
- UI Developer: Once you know the basics of Apex it is time to become a UI Developer. Where you need to learn JavaScipt, Aura, and LWC.
- Get Expert with Tools: Learn about different development tools which can make your life easy and increase your productivity. Learn about GIT and DevOps. Learn about how Salesforce deployment works.
- Sr. Developer: Once you know the basics of Apex and UI development. It is time to learn different Design patterns and frameworks.
- Technical Lead Developer: Make your goal to become a leader in your stream. For that, you need to be a good architect and understanding of solutions.
Your roadmap can be different from the above. This is a sample to get started and decide what all topics you need to learn.
2.2 How to get started in Salesforce
- Trailhead: The only thing you need to get started in Salesforce is to register yourself on “Trailhead” and get started for free! Sign up for a new account and voila! You have a bunch of ways to start exploring any topic/role you want to grow in- just search for what you want.
- Salesforce Community: Also, make sure to associate with your local Salesforce Community group- you get the option to join the group under the “Community” tab on the site. There are multiple events and talks hosted by these communities to get you up to speed on the technical and functional topics, any new trending topics, updates, new releases, platforms, etc.
- Partner Portal: It has partner launch event webinars, detailed additional topics shared exclusively for partners, and so on. There are specialized credentials introduced for partners too- Accredited Professional certifications.
- Apex Hours: Apex Hours is one stop platform to learn Salesforce skills and technology. It has all the tutorials you need to get started with Salesforce.com and become a master in it
2.3 Resource to learn Development
- Apex Specialist Super badges
- Advanced Apex Specialist Super badges
- Apex Hours FREE Salesforce Developer Training.
- Data Integration Specialist Super badges
- Lightning Web Components Specialist Super badges
- Security Specialist Superbadge Super badges
#3. Learn Software development life cycle
If you want to become a Software developer then you should learn about how SDLC works and the methodologies behind that term. You should learn about below topics:
- Introduction to SDLC.
- The agile concepts and waterfall (and more..)
- The DevOps.
#4. Learn Salesforce Consultants Skills
Here are 5 basic soft skills any Consultant will need to become great a Developer.
- Adapt Your Communication Style
- Active Listening
- Understanding Business Process
- Industry Knowledge
- Relationship Building
Skills Great Salesforce Consultants Have In Common.
#5. Get Certified and clear your PD-1 exam
Certifications are another important milestone to prove your hands-on expertise. Complete your Salesforce Platform Developer 1 (PD1) certification to get a hold of your Salesforce basics.
6. Get hands-on experience
Once you know about Salesforce development from Training or Trailhead. Next step is get some hand-on experience.
6.1 If you are already a Admin
If you are already working a Salesforce admin then start taking small small work from your project to get some hand-on experience.
6.2 Volunteering opportunities with Non profits
If you are not working and new to Salesforce. Then start finding volunteering opportunities with Nonprofits and Education cloud customers- would help you gain hands-on real-time experience to solve real-world problems and is also considered and counted as a work experience by most of the companies. Learn more Volunteer Your Salesforce Expertise | Salesforce Trailhead.
6.3 Join Salesforce Developer Forum.
Developer forum is also another option to learn about Salesforce Developer challenges.
Networking is the key to everything. Try to find another developer who is also learning Salesforce. You can find them and start a study group.
7.1 Join Salesforce Community
Also, make sure to associate with your local Salesforce Community group- you get the option to join the group under the “Community” tab on the site. There are multiple events and talks hosted by these communities to get you up to speed on the technical and functional topics, any new trending topics, updates, new releases, platforms, etc.
7.2 Find a recruiter
Find a recruiter who can help you to get your first job or let you know the latest trend in Salesforce echo System.
#8. Find an Adviser
Find an adviser or mentor for you. If you are already working then work with your Sr. Developer or try Mentorship program this is one-to-one as well as many programs where a newcomer can directly get a mentor assigned to them who could guide them right from exploring the Salesforce platform to landing a job by helping with cv preparations, mock interviews, support, etc.
#9. Get ready for the Salesforce Developer Interview
Once you have good knowledge of Salesforce and have hand on experience. It is time to get ready for the Interview. Check our Apex Hours Salesforce Interview Question series.
#10. Find Salesforce Developers Job
Once you are ready with Developer Knowledge. The next step is to find a Developer job.
- Update your LinkedIn Profile: Keep your LinkedIn profile up-to-date.
- Trailhead Hire Me button: As soon as you feel you have good hands-on knowledge of your area of interest, have got yourself certified to prove your experience, and are looking for a job- Trailhead has introduced a “Hire Me” button as well on your Trailhead profile- which lets the employers know you are available for new opportunities and they can directly contact you
- Find recruiter: Find a good recruiter who can help you promote your profile and update your resume
- Find consulting Partners: Find Salesforce consulting partners in your country and local state. And apply for jobs from their career page
- Interview: Keep giving the interview and if you are not selected. Keep a note of all feedback and do your best next time.
Check out our post on How to get a job in Salesforce as a Fresher.
Resources for Job Seekers
Learn about the resources Trailblazer Connect has available for job seekers. Once you start exploring Trailhead, you would understand how simple it is to really get started on an area of your interest.
Reasons to Become a Salesforce Developer in 2023
Here are some reasons to become a Developer.
- Demand and Opportunity
- World Dominating Technology
- High Earning
- Multiple Routs into the Ecosystem
- Salesforce Community
How to become a Developer Video
Wish you all the best for your Salesforce Developer Journey. Do certifications, do hands-on work, do super badges, volunteer, and reach out to the Salesforce community with questions/ help needed- you don’t have to look back then!