In this session and post we will talk about why you need to know Administration to become a CTA? More than 60 to 70% of requirements can be solved with Click. You should be chosen click over code if possible. Salesforce Administrators are in an excellent position to transition into an Architecture. The trick is not creating totally new areas of skills but rather deepening and scaling the skills they already have.
Before getting started lets understand some CTA misconceptions.
- You need to have a Master in IT
- In enterprise everything is done with code
- Only amazing programmers can become CTAs
- I’m a developer, I don’t need Admin stuff
Benefits of developer
Before talking about Code Vs Click. Let understand the understand the benefits of being Salesforce Developer.
- Think in complex flows
- Development, Deployment and branching strategies
- Software development lifecycle
- Salesforce integration Patterns
- Solving requirements related to code development or refactoring
- Theoretical learning of Admin stuff is easier than theoretical learning
- Developer stuff
Click vs. Code
Click should be chosen over code if possible. In that case no need to hire a specialist coder or software developer and Declarative programming provides a much quicker turnaround. It is simple and easy to customize your project.
Here on of the CTA case study where we found you can resolve 72% requirement by click.
Let see some example which we can resolve with code and click.
Example I – Customize by region
A standardized process is established for account managers to receive, negotiate, and close orders. This process must be customizable by geographical region.
Implement a trigger framework which makes it easy to implement distinct logic base on a region field.
Click answer (Our recommendation)
Use record types to clearly indicate each customer by region. Create region specific picklists, page layouts and logic based on these record types.
Example II – Approval processRequirement
Send the assessment [record] to management for approval. This assessment [record] should automatically include the account status.
Create a button which sends an email to the manager. The email contains a link to an approval LWC page where the management can approve or disapprove the assessment [record].
Click answer (Our recommendation)
Implement standard approval process for the assessment record. Include a formula field on the assessment record to display the account status.
Example III – Backend integrationRequirent
Visualize three values indicating the financial health of the distributor, which are stored in the accounting application [External system].
Code answer (Our recommendation)
Create a LWC on Account Page. Via APEX Call-out (Remote Process Invocation, Request & Reply Pattern) to Accounting System. Get three values as response and display.
Create a flow which makes a call-out to accounting application via External Service to get the current financial health of the distributor.
What did I do?
- Consider declarative features in your daily job
- Find Admin as study-partner
- Do (beginner) Admin trails and projects
- Volunteer as an Admin for non-profits
- Get Admin and Functional certifications (and take them seriously!)
- Advanced Admin
- App Builder
- Dev I
|Date : Sat, DEC 05, 2020 10:00 AM EST (8:30 PM IST)|
Speaker : Jakub Stefaniak and Johann Furmann
- Salesforce Lightning flow
- Order of execution in Salesforce
- Sharing and Visibility With Salesforce
- Salesforce Developer to Architect
Amit Chaudhary is Salesforce Application & System Architect and working on Salesforce Platform since 2010. He is Salesforce MVP since 2017 and have 17 Salesforce Certificates.
He is a active blogger and founder of Apex Hours.