In this post, we will learn about what is Email-To-Case, how to configure an email to the case in Salesforce, and the limitations of email to case.
What is Email-to-Case?
Email-to-Case enables us to automatically creates cases and auto-populates case fields when customers send messages to the email addresses you specify. Email-to-Case on-demand service keeps email traffic outside your network’s firewall and refuses emails larger than 25 MB.
Key features and benefits for Email-To-Case
- Customer responses regarding a case are automatically associated with the original case, including any attachments the customer sends.
- Case reporting measures both inbound and outbound emails by case so that you can see how many emails are exchanged before an issue is resolved.
- Routing addresses allow you to create multiple email addresses from which the contents of customer emails can be converted to case fields.
- Assignment Rules, Escalation Rules, Workflow Rules and Auto-Response Rules all work seamlessly with Email-to-Case.
Salesforce Email to Case Setup
Let’s see a Step by Step process to setting up Email-To-Case in Salesforce.
1. Enable on Email-to-Case
The first step to configuring email-to-case we need to enable it. Follow the below step to enable the email-to-case in salesforce.
- Click on Setup and then enter Email-To-Case in Quick find.
- Then Select Email-to-Case and click on the edit button.
- Select Enable Email-To-Case and On-Demand Service then click on Save.
2. Routing Addresses for Email-to-Case
- Click on the New button from the Routing Addresses related list.
- Provide all required fields and configure verification email and case setting.
- Then click on Save.
- Once done then Salesforce will send you one email on your Email Address to verify the email id.
- Salesforce.com will automatically create the email id like below for you
3. Setting Up Routing/Forwarding Rules
Now it is time to configure our email forwarding setting at our outlook, Gmail, or email provider. Configure your email system to forward messages received at [email protected] to auto-generated service addresses.
As we are using Gmail for the demo. User Gmail Article for Automatically forward Gmail messages to another account.
- Login to your Gmail id and then click on the setting icon.
- Then Click on Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- Then click on the “Add a forwarding address” button.
- Add forwarding address as email provided by Salesforce.
- Once you add email. It will show a confirmation screen saying forwarding email to auto-generated Salesforce email-to-case email ID.
- When a verification code is sent to Salesforce Email-To-Case address. Then a new case will be created in Salesforce. Open the Salesforce case and copy the confirmation code. This means our email-to-case is working :).
- Now it is time to add the Confirmation code in Gmail and click on verify button.
- On the last step is select Forward a copy of incoming email Email-To-Case email and click on Save Changes.
Congratulation this time we are all good to test our hard work.
4. Test Email-To-Case
- Now it is time to test our email-to-case flow. Send an email to your support email “[email protected]“.
- Now check in the Salesforce case tab for a new case record.
Some important Functionality
- It automatically populates the contact and account if the contact is in Salesforce with the same from email address.
- If contact is not available with the Same email id then the contact and Account field will be blank on the case object.
Email-to-Case Limitation and Considerations
How Email-to-Case Treats Long Emails: Email-to-Case automatically shortens email headers and email body text to 32,000 characters each. Contact Salesforce if you’d like your organization’s email body text limit raised to 131,000 characters.
How Email-to-Case Treats Inbound Auto-Response Emails: Inbound auto-response emails from Salesforce aren’t attached to cases.
Tips for Sending Emails: When sending an outgoing email, the subject line and body should be different. If the Email Subject and Email Body Text are identical, Email-to-Case creates an infinite loop of emails related to each case.
Email to case Video
Set up Email-to-Case to efficiently resolve customer email inquiries. When customers send messages to your support email addresses, Salesforce automatically creates cases and auto-populates case fields. You can also perform these steps by completing the Connect Your Support Email guided flow.